We have over 140 members in our Landcare Group and we are proud to be one of the most active Landcare groups in North East Victoria.
2019 was another great year for our group with $132 000 received in funding to help us run events and subsidise on ground work across our catchment over the next two years. We planted a massive 12 000 trees and shrubs at sites across our landscape, completed 15km of fencing, started an annual nest box monitoring program, protected 46 large old paddock trees, planted 300 new paddock trees and conducted our first direct seeding projects for several years. For a full list of our activities this year, check out our annual report card below.
The Greta Valley Landcare Group is not just about tree planting – our Landcare group has a strong community focus and we try to run workshops and events that appeal to all members of our local area.
In 2020 we have a great range of events planned:
- Managing shelterbelts in the long term (field session)
- Inclusion of fodder species in your farming system (field session)
- Introduction to bee keeping (event) & bee keeping practical workshop (field session)
- Plant propagation from native seed and cuttings (workshop)
- Logs on roadsides project (in conjunction with CFA/RCOW)
- Nest box monitoring at local reserves and roadsides at our 76 local nest boxes
- Clean up and planting sessions at local reserves (Greens Road and Hansonville Reserve)
- Ongoing bird monitoring at 10 local sites
- Enhancement of Fosters Lake Glenrowan and stocking with native Southern Pygmy Perch
- Bus trip to inspect neighbouring catchments to discuss shelterbelt design and holistic management on farm
- Walk and Talk on 15 Mile Creek – identifying weeds and natives, tips on how to manage your river frontage
- And our annual social function!
The group also auspices ‘The Greta Bunyip’ newsletter, which promotes local news throughout the catchment.
Members have access to equipment available for loan at subsided rates and advice and information on specific issues through our Project Officer. We can also help you to develop ideas for projects to improve farm productivity and protect and enhance environmental assets on your land.
Membership is just $33 per calendar year per family, which we believe offers fantastic value. Please support your local Landcare Group, as these funds help to pay for our insurance and running costs which are not covered by grants.
To sign up, please download our application form and mail your payment and form to PO Box 971 Wangaratta VIC 3676,
OR pay by direct debit and email your application to email@example.com.
If you would like to find out any other information about joining our Group, please Contact Us or call Anthony Griffiths (Treasurer) on 0429 950 712.